Sunday, July 26, 2015

Why I Do Capitalize God


Why I Do Capitalize God
Chris Costello


Here’s another short one. Again, this isn’t some huge, pressing issue I’m tackling today. I’m not sticking it to the man this time, just ranting about a minor pet peeve of mine. The object of my ire right now is the atheist community. This might appear odd to some of you, given that I myself am a nonbeliever. But I’ve called out the atheists numerous times, both on this blog and in the real world, and I’m doing it again today. Buckle up, everyone. It’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

Okay. Why the fuck do some atheists not capitalize the word God? I’ve heard some people say that it’s because he’s fictional, and that’s the argument I’m addressing here today. Most atheist, particularly the outspoken variety found on the internet, say that they don’t capitalize God because they believe he’s fictional. Not capitalizing his name is a way of rejecting the mass delusion their culture has bought into.

There are a couple of things wrong with that line of thinking. Firstly, Having a capitalized name and being fictional are not mutually exclusive. Nobody believes in Harry Potter, and yet we all capitalize his name. Fictional characters are still proper nouns, so the rules of correct grammar still apply. This includes God, at least according to atheists.

Now let’s look at that bit about shattering the mass delusion or whatever. To that end, I say, “REALLY?” Do you honestly believe that by not capitalizing the name God, you will break down the hold that religion has over society? Are you really that fucking dense, guys? If you really want to separate church and state, or encourage empiricism, then I’d agree with you. We all go by the same label, we have the same goals. But you cannot further those goals by just choosing not to capitalize a word. In the grand scheme of things, that’s inconsequential. Maybe instead of whining about trivial bullshit, you would work to improve science education or fight for social justice. Do that, please, and stop acting like such petulant children. Do it for me, so we can actually improve the world. Please?

And maybe obey the rules of proper grammar while you’re at it.

Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment